Through activities at F.I.T. Park we will provide a fun way for the community to engage in exercise while fostering community unity and enabling the public to gain an appreciation of the environment through a beautifully landscaped, safe location that connects them with nature.
Research on outdoor exercise demonstrates that a person’s well-being can be enhanced by creating a beautiful outdoor exercise environment. Studies have shown that people who exercise outdoors have a better state of well-being than those who only exercise indoors (for example in a gym). It has also been shown that contact with nature while exercising provides an even greater benefit to a person’s well-being compared to exercising outdoors without any contact with nature.
We have already made significant progress with the development of the F.I.T. Park and have completed phase 1 of this project. An investment was made to purchase the land and to create a specially designed outdoor fitness circuit. The park currently consists of over 20 different obstacles and has been carefully designed to provide both cardio-vascular and muscle strengthening exercises, with care taken to provide attention to both the upper and lower body. There are also options for beginners and more experienced participants making the park appropriate for users of all fitness levels.
Our Plans For the Future
Our ultimate goal for the fitness park is to create a beautiful outdoor environment that utilizes a holistic approach to improving the health and well-being of our community through a number of eco-friendly sustainable initiatives.
The completed project will consist of:
- An obstacle course
- A walking/running track
- A tennis court
- A gym
- A wellness retreat centre – this will be accessible to locals as well as regional and international guests
- A vegetable and herb garden
- Health shop where local farmers can sell their produce and where we can sell any of our excess produce
- A healthy restaurant which will utlize fruits, herbs and vegetables grown on-site
- A swimming pool for swimming lessons and aqua-aerobics classes
- A swimming pool for leisure, swimming lessons, aqua-aerobics classes aimed at the elderly
- A recreation room which will be equipped with a pool table, table tennis table and a variety of fitness video games like the wii fit and zumba fitness
- A day care center to accommodate mothers who require child care whilst using our facilities; the day care centre will also be opened to both members and non-members